These documents are the invitation to and the program of the Third Exhibition of the Atelier-Abstração, held in São Paulo in June 1956. The Atelier-Abstração was a studio set up by the Brazilian artist Samson Flexor in his own house, and to which he invited young artists to study drawing and painting. A group of dynamic and productive artists soon formed around the Atelier-Abstração, among them Izar do Amaral Berlinck, Zilda Andrews, Emílio Mallet, Leopoldo Raimo, Jacques Douchez, Maria Antonia Berlinck, Leyla Perrone, Norberto Nicola, Wega Nery, Anésia Pacheco Chaves, Alberto Teixeira, and Nelson Leirner. The group held its first exhibition in 1953. By the time of their third exhibition in 1956, the group had also been able to exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art, São Paulo. The Atelier-Abstração group disbanded in 1958.
The program includes a brief statement from Flexor about the aims of the Atelier-Abstração group. In his text, the artist advocates the autonomy of abstract painting, pleading its independence from the outside world. Flexor stated, "An abstract painting does not represent but presents itself / An abstract painting does not express but expresses itself / An abstract painting is already a presence in itself and its only significance is itself." According to Flexor, painting no longer belongs to the imitative arts but has a place next to music and architecture. “These are major arts by excellence,” he added, their main essence coming from invention and sensibility, both privileges of mankind.