The editorial categories are research topics that have guided researchers during the recovery phase and continue to be the impetus behind the Documents Project’s digital archive and the Critical Documents book series. Developed by the project’s Editorial Board, each of the teams analyzed this framework and adapted it to their local contexts in developing their research objectives and work plans during the Recovery Phase. Learn more on the Editorial Framework page.
The photographer Samuel Santiago includes several brief reviews of the eleven exhibitions he has organized at the Galería Pintadera. He thanks those who generously provided assistance, especially the media for their coverage, and the artists from the División de Educación de la Comunidad [Community Education Division] for printing the posters that advertised the exhibitions. Santiago refers to the challenges facing artists in Puerto Rico and mentions the public indifference.
“La Pintadera” was opened by the Dobal family in 1954 as an art materials wholesale store on Avenida Ponce de León, Stop 38, in the Hato Rey area of suburban San Juan. At that time there were only two exhibition spaces on the Island, one at the Ateneo Puertorriqueño and the other at the museum at the University of Puerto Rico. This situation prompted photographer Samuel Santiago to open a gallery in his own living room and a second one in the building that housed the store mentioned above. He opened the latter on December 2, 1955, and called it Galería La Pintadera. Santiago also published Pigmento, a magazine that promoted art events and published artist biographies. Galería La Pintadera closed in 1973. Included here is the catalogue for the exhibition of Carlos Marichal’s designs and drawings held at the Galería Pintadera from October 18 to November 14, 1957. There are two advertisements on the back page; the first is for “La Peña de Pintadera” [La Pintadera Club] every Thursday, everyone welcome. The second announces an exhibition on December 6, 1957, from which all proceeds will be donated to J.M. Dobal’s widow.