Gimpel Fils. Camargo. Exh. cat., London: Gimpel Fils, 1970.
The editorial categories are research topics that have guided researchers during the recovery phase and continue to be the impetus behind the Documents Project’s digital archive and the Critical Documents book series. Developed by the project’s Editorial Board, each of the teams analyzed this framework and adapted it to their local contexts in developing their research objectives and work plans during the Recovery Phase. Learn more on the Editorial Framework page.
This is the catalogue for Sérgio Camargo’s exhibition titled Camargo, organized at Gimpel Fils gallery in London. The exhibition took place from November 17 to December 5, 1970. The catalogue includes several black-and-white photographs and reproductions of his works along with an up-to-date curriculum vitae of the artist and a list of fifty of his reliefs dating from 1968 to 1970. The list of the reliefs provides the title of each piece, the measurements in both centimeters and inches, and the year when each were created.
Gimpel Fils, a London gallery, was founded in 1946 by brothers Charles (1913–1973) and Peter Gimpel (1915–2005), and Kay Gimpel (Charles’s wife) (1914–2009). Charles and Peter were the sons of Parisian art dealer, René Gimpel (1881–1945) whose Journal d'un Collectionneur [Diary of an Art Dealer] became a primary source for the study of modern art and of collecting between the World Wars. The gallery was first located for a brief time at 86 Duke Street, London, before moving to 50 South Molton Street, where Sérgio Camargo’s exhibition took place. In 1972, the gallery relocated to its present premises at 30 Davies Street.
Even though Sérgio Camargo (1930–1990) was never officially represented by Gimpel Fils, his work was sold and exhibited at this gallery. A sculptor and maker of reliefs, Camargo was born in Rio de Janeiro to a Brazilian father and Argentinean mother. He studied at the Academia Altamira in Buenos Aires under Emilio Pettoruti and Lucio Fontana. He later furthered his studies by enrolling in philosophy courses at the Sorbonne in Paris. Upon his return to Brazil in 1950, Camargo came into contact with the Brazilian Constructivists. In 1954 he took a lengthy trip to China. Back in Brazil, Camargo participated in the III and IV São Paulo Biennial (1955 and 1957). He returned to Paris, and from 1961 to 1974 he exhibited internationally, again at the São Paulo Biennial and at the Venice Biennale and Documenta in Kassel.